From here to eternity: Internet research for patient genealogists
Patient Genealogists Do visit trusted genealogy websites.
If you are unsure about a website, write to Ol' Myrt at Myrt@DearMYRTLE.com and she will look into it for you. Another resource might be to ask members of your local genealogy society.
These are just a few of the sites patient genealogists will eventually learn to use on a regular basis.
- http://www.afrigeneas.com/ (researching African Ancestry in the Americas)
- www.ancestry.com/ (databases, indexes, scanned images of original documents)
- www.bartleby.com/ (familiar quotations)
- www.cyndislist.com/ (locate links to other reliable genealogy websites for your ancestor’s specific locality, surname or ethnicity.)
- www.familysearch.org/ (databases, indexes, Family History Library Catalog)
- www.familysearchindexing.org/ (volunteer to index scanned images of original documents) Patient genealogists help index a locality's records until the records for their ancestors's locality come forth in the idexing process.
- www.findmypast.com/ (indexes & scanned images of original documents - British Isles)
- www.footnote.com/ (databases, indexes, scanned images of original documents)
- www.genealogical.com/ (genealogy book publisher)
- www.genealogybank.com/ (databases, indexes, scanned images of original documents)
- www.genline.com/ (Swedish databases, indexes, scanned images of original documents)
- www.genuki.org.uk/ (British Isles assistance)
- www.heritagebooks.com/ (genealogy book publisher)
- HeritageQuestOnline (through local public libraries that pay for subscriptions)
- www.raogk.com/ (help from Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness volunteers)
- www.rootsweb.com/ (mailing lists, message boards, databases, indexes)
- www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ (indexes & scanned images of original documents)
- www.stevemorse.org/ (better search engines for many well-regarded websites, including Ellis Island)
- www.usgenweb.com/ (databases, indexes, links to resources for each state and county)
- www.worldgenweb.org/ (databases, indexes, links to resources for most countries)
- www.worldvitalrecords.com/ (databases, indexes, scanned images of original documents)
Patient genealogists realize there is a learning curve to doing anything, including family history research. Following the advice of more experienced online researchers will save the heartache of getting pulled in on a bad deal at an unscrupulous website.
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.
(c) 2007 Pat Richley All Rights Reserved.