Patient Genealogists Do visit trusted non-genealogy websites.
Although these sites may index other sites of questionable origin, these mega-sites themselves are considered useful to online research:
- Amazon http://www.amazon.com/ where you can buy just about anything.
- http://www.bartleby.com/ (familiar quotations)
- Bureau of Land Management http://www.blm.gov/
- Google (great search engine) http://www.google.com/
o Book Search - Search the full text of books
o iGoogle – set up your personalized start page
o GoogleGuide: Making Searching even faster
- iTunes (free software for listening to podcasts on your computer or any .mp3 player)
- LibDex (index of library websites, catalogs throughout the world)
- Library of Congress (American Memory Project, etc.)
- LibraryThing (free online catalog for your genealogy and other books, possibly networked with other users of the service.)
- MapQuest (driving directions & hybrid maps)
- Yahoo Maps (driving directions and hybrid maps)
- WikipediA (online, editable encyclopedia, in multiple languages)
- WorldCat (is the world's largest bibliographic database, built and maintained collectively by libraries that participate in the OCLC Online Computer Library Center global cooperative.