You've been sending in your New Year's Resolutions and it looks like for some of you, THIS could be the year you finally make your genealogy readily accessible to distant family members.
Consider that digital (CD or DVD) format is easier to distribute and less costly than a printed copy.
Better than those choices, consider that it is MUCH easier to keep an online copy up to date, merely sending an email to your family members with a notice about changes. Also, posting your data online increases the chances of finding a "long lost cousin" or two. If one of them inherited your 2nd great-grandparent's family bible, you would surely want to know about it, wouldn't you? (Just remember to exclude info about living individuals on your website.)
For those of you interested in creating a website based on your compiled genealogy data, TNG is a most excellent tool of choice. There is a new version just announced by developer Darrin Lythgoe, through the TNGUsers Mailing List.
Ol' Myrt removed some of the technical jargon from the announcement.
From: Darrin Lythgoe
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:50 AM
This is to announce that TNG v6.2.0 is now available on the v6 downloads page http://tng.lythgoes.net/downloads6.
If you already have v6.0 or higher, this is a free upgrade. I will list the summary of changes below, but the main differences are:
- Mousing over most media thumbnails now reveals an intermediate-sized preview (GD image library required).
- Doctype declaration switched from HTML Transitional to XHTML Transitional.
- Dropdown menus restructured to use DIVs instead of TABLEs.
- New GEDCOM import was breaking media links to custom events (fixed).
If you want to see what the image previews look like go to http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=photos
and hover your mouse pointer over any of the thumbnails in the list.
Please be careful to follow all of the upgrade instructions. [...]
FOR FURTHER READING
- TNG Home Page http://www.lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php
- TNG Demonstration
- What users are saying about the program
- DearMYRTLE's Blog: "TNG Genealogy Site Building" (1/31/2006)
Your friend in genealogy.
© 2008 Pat Richley All Rights Reserved.