2008 UGA Family History and Genealogy Conference
"Solving Family Mysteries"
12-13 September 2008
The Utah Genealogical Association invites you to present at our 2008 UGA Fall Family History and Genealogy Conference, which will be held Friday, 12 September-Saturday, 13 September at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.This conference is a yearly, highly anticipated event, vital to the welfare of our organization. The Family History Library venue is an attractive, premiere location for your participation with up-to-date technology. Each presentation will be 60 minutes in length. You may submit proposals for 1-8 presentations.
The deadline for proposals is Monday, 16 June 2008.
We welcome submissions that help attendees gain expertise in the following areas of Family History and Genealogy:
- Getting started in Family History
- Learning and improving general research skills and organization
- Researching in specific areas such as: immigration, military records, vital records, maps, etc.
- Using computers and new software to simplify research
- Using new technologies for family research
- Using specific research facilities such as: archives, county courthouses, libraries
- Using BCG standards, research process, pedigree analysis, evidence evaluation, tracing immigrants, etc.
- Beginning, intermediate and advanced research methodology in places such as: Europe, United States, Canada, other world areas
- Providing information for expert and professional researchers
- Writing and publishing family histories, journals, articles
- Creating and sustaining family organizations and collaboration
- Supporting Family History Centers and training Family History Consultants
Presentations should not only inform, but should provide step-by-step instructions to help the participants use the class materials.
Examples, illustrations, and documents should relate directly to the geographical area or subject covered.
All syllabus materials should reflect the content of classes, both in detail and in sequence of instruction.
Presentation style must be PowerPoint, lecture, internet or overhead.
The Conference will provide PC laptop computers with wireless Internet connection.
Speakers should plan to bring their PowerPoint presentation on a flash drive, CD-ROM, or DVD-ROM. Be sure to have available a backup copy of your presentation. If yours is an Internet presentation, you must have screen shot backups in case of Internet failure.
Proposals should include:
- Full name of presenter
- Brief description of presentation for advertising brochure and Web page (50 words maximum).
- Audience skill level (beginner [novice] intermediate, or advanced)
- Medium of presentation
PowerPoint, Lecture, Internet, Overhead, Other
- Requests for audio/visual or computer equipment
- Current e-mail, mailing address, telephone number(s) and fax number (if any)
- List your previous experience presenting at conferences or workshops in the past 3 years, including titles of presentations
- Brief biographical sketch for the syllabus (50 words maximum)
Compensation: In accordance with regulations for use of the Family History Library facilities, we there will be no charge for attendance at this conference. Therefore, speakers will receive:
- Complimentary registration
- Conference syllabus" Bottled water
- Thank-you gift
Please e-mail proposals in Word or Acrobat format no later than 16 June 2008.
NOTE: We prefer Microsoft Word documents. We will notify you by 19 July 2008 of you acceptance and provide further details.
We hope to receive your submission soon.