30 January 2009
Since the last update on January 5, 2009, FamilySearch added over 40 million new records to its Record Search pilot. Individuals with international roots from Argentina, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, and the Philippines will find some nice surprises in the newly added collections.
Birth, marriage, and death records were added for the Netherlands and Ireland. Irish researchers in particular have been anxiously awaiting the 23 million records from the Irish Civil Registration indexes. These records date from 1845-1958 and are also known as the Statutory Registration Records. Statutory registration for Protestants began in 1845 and for Catholics in 1864.
Many thanks to the thousands of online FamilySearch Indexing volunteers who helped make these wonderful records available.
See the chart below for more details. The new records can be searched for free at FamilySearch.org
(Click Search Records, then Record Search pilot).
Collection Name, Indexed Records, Digital Images, Comments
- 1869 Argentina National Census 232,853 157,133 New
- California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records 1835-1931 43,407 61,017 New
- Canada Census 1916 1,811,736 36,263 New
- Costa Rica Church Records 1595-1992 1,387,505 260,367 New
- Germany Burials 1500-1900 3,633,851 -- New
- Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958 23,023,320 70,971 New
- Mexico Aguascalientes Catholic Church Records 1616-1961 -- 601,572 New
- Netherlands Births and Baptisms 1,350,335 -- New
- Netherlands Marriages 374,659 -- New
- Netherlands Deaths and Burials 206,477 -- New
- Philippines Marriages 2,224,877 -- New
- 1920 United States Census 2,437,479 50,364 Added Alabama
- 1850 United States Census 1,425,756 -- Added Alabama and Indian Population
- 1850 United States Census (Slave Schedule) 869,079 -- Added Alabama, Missouri, and South Carolina
- 1850 United States Census (Mortality Schedule) 37,993 -- Added Louisiana and Indian Population
- 1870 United States Census 7,954,406 -- Added Pennsylvania