Our GeneaBloggers group has a different theme for each day of the week, something I've only rarely participated in. Today is different, it is "Treasure Chest Thursday" 8 July 2010 and I've got something to share.
Among the treasures I unearthed this past week was this page from the Union Civil War service file for my ancestor Tolbert Higgins. I've previously written about:
- Tolbert Higgins & Cedar, Kansas gravesite ~ so moving to visit this small, very remote cemetery.
- Disregard that street sign ~ features two views of Tolbert's last known residence in Salina, Saline, Kansas, and the difficulty in locating it.
- 5 foot 10 inches tall
- ruddy complexion
- hazel eyes
- brown hair
- age 21
- born in Davis [Daviess] County, Missouri
- a farmer
- enlisted at Huntsville 1 April 1862
- for a 3 year term of service
- in Company H, 2nd Missouri Cavalry
- discharged by reason of expiration of term of service 12 April 1865
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.