When you think of the genealogy break-throughs you've experienced throughout the years, what is the most common element?
How about the use of an INDEX? Indexes provide insight to record groups that would take too much time to search page by page.
If you have ever benefited from the use of an INDEX, then it's time to step up to the plate and volunteer to index records. Ol' Myrt's suggestion is to work through FamilySearchIndexing.org, as the indexes created there will always remain free to everyone.
|Sign up at www.FamilySearchIndexing.org|
Our friends at FamilySearchIndexing explain "EVERY PERSON MATTERS. Perhaps it is this feeling that prompts millions to seek out their family history. For most, records of their ancestors provide key links to their past. An army of volunteers from around the world is now helping to save and make these records available. Using our online system, they are able to easily extract data from valuable records and provide free searchable indexes—all from the convenience of their homes."Think of it -- indexing
- on your schedule (5 minutes here and there will make a big difference)
- the record group you choose (there are foreign language record groups if you are multi-lingual)
- while sitting at your home computer (while dinner is in the crock pot and that last load of laundry is in the wash)
Many hands make light work!
Do you best -- and trust that:
- a second person will index the same documents.
- a computer will compare your indexes, keystroke for keystroke.
- variances will come to the attention of an arbitrator for resolution.
So, it is pay-back time ~ let's get indexing!
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.