The folks at Family Tree Magazine have now asked for help honoring outstanding blogs nominated by the genealogy community for the 40 Best Genealogy Blogs to be named in the July 2011 Family Tree Magazine. To vote, use the survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/ft40-2011voting.
PANEL - Family Tree Magazine selected several geneabloggers to serve as Family Tree 40 panelists to :formulate the blog categories and qualifications, as well as narrowing categories with the most nominations.
- Lisa Louise Cooke of Genealogy Gems
- Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings
- Thomas MacEntee of Geneabloggers
- and Ol' Myrt here
- Local/regional history and genealogy: blogs focusing on research in a specific county, state or region. Most library and archive blogs, as well as many local historical and genealogical society blogs, would go here.
- Heritage groups: Blogs focusing on the family history of a specific ethnic, religious or national background (such as African-American, Jewish, Polish, etc.)
- Research advice and how-to: Blogs that primarily explain how to research, analyze photos or perform various family history tasks. The blogger offers tips, strategies and examples; explains genealogical concepts; and writes about how to use new resources.
- Cemeteries: These blogs feature content primarily about cemetery research and visiting cemeteries. Many feature tombstone photos and transcriptions, with information about those interred.
- “My Family History”: Blogs about the blogger’s own roots, including accounts of personal research, their own family photos and heirlooms, stories, recipes, etc.
- “Everything” blogs: Blogs that cover it all—genealogy news, research advice, opinions, local history, family stories, etc.—go here.
- New blogs: Was the blog you’re nominating launched during the past year? Categorize it here, even if it would also fit into another category.
- Technology: Blogs focusing on genealogy websites, software, DNA testing or other aspects of technology as it relates to genealogy.
Voting is open until 11:59 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20. You may vote multiple times. (If you have a genealogy blog, feel free to use this badge to encourage your fellow family historians to vote.)
FOR FURTHER READING
Genealogy Insider Blog - Nominate a Genealogy Blog for the 2011 Family Tree 40
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.