NOTE from DearMYRTLE: This is just in for those planning Derbyshire research.
Derbyshire Record Office is beginning an exciting project to expand storage and public spaces. This project is due for completion by Spring 2013, when a new combined archives and local studies service will reopen at the current record office building in New Street, Matlock. Whilst building work takes place, Derbyshire Record Office will operate a temporary service from the Crèche Building, in the lower car park of County Hall, Matlock.
Derbyshire Record Office will be closed for three weeks between 12 and 30 September 2011 to allow us to move to the temporary premises, re-opening at the Crèche Building on Monday 3 October 2011. Whilst we are closed we regret that we will be unable to provide any access to records, or to deal with enquiries.
Restricted service during building works
From 3 October there will be a small public searchroom at the Creche Building for access to original documents. All documents held on microfilm, DVD and CD, including most of the parish registers, will be available at Derbyshire Local Studies Library on Bank Road, Matlock.
Please note that:
- Our opening hours will remain unchanged.
- Original documents must be ordered in advance, with five working days’ notice. If you know the document reference numbers, you can order by telephone (01629 538347) or email email@example.com.
- If you do not know the document reference numbers, you can either check the finding aids in the temporary searchroom and fill in request slips in advance of your visit; or you can contact us to discuss what you would like to see, and we will order on your behalf.
- You can check the online parish register guide to see if the register you need is on microfilm or DVD at www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/records
- To access wills and letters of administration, please also check the online guide, which tells you what can be seen on microfilm and what is available on DVD at www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/records/wills
- Microfilms, DVDs and CDs can be accessed at Derbyshire Local Studies Library, and will not need to be ordered in advance. As demand may be high, we recommend that you book microfilms readers, and /or PCs to access the DVDs and CDs by telephoning 01629 536579, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two disabled car parking spaces will be available at the Crèche Building, and one space at Local Studies. If you are not a ‘blue badge’ holder, alternative parking is available elsewhere in Matlock.
Whilst building works are going on, we may have difficulty in accessing some documents, so responses to search requests may take a little longer than people have been used to.
Further information, and a map showing the location of the temporary searchroom and local studies is available at: www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/relocation.
We appreciate your patience during the relocation and building works, and apologise for any inconvenience that this temporary situation may cause.
Archives & Local Studies Manager
Derbyshire Record Office
County Hall, MatlockDerbyshire, DE4 3AG