OK, so here's the scoop... all you need to know about DearMYRTLE's "Name that Gadget" a contest for discerning genealogists.
The first fifty (50) people to post online a photo of yours truly with the "mysterious HI-TECH gadget" during the the RootsTech 2012 Conference being held in Salt Lake City, Utah this week, automatically become finalists, and are eligible to win the Grand Prize subject to the following rules.
1. Content: Take a digital photo of DearMYRTLE holding a bright pink "mysterious HI-TECH gadget" . Clue: You'll usually find me at the early morning RootsTech 2012 keynote addresses and at the Official RootsTech 2012 Bloggers hub in the exhibit hall.
2. Post the photo with a description and your highly creative, maybe even wacky, name for the gadget, tagging Pat Richley-Erickson in a post with a link back to DearMYRTLE's Blog http://blog.DearMYRTLE.com . Post said photo and description in at least one of the following place on the web:
-- on your blog
-- on Facebook
-- on Google+
-- on Twitter (with hash tags #RootsTech #Genealogy and #DearMYRTLE)
2. Notify Myrt via email: Myrt@DearMYRTLE.com, with the subject line "NAME THAT GADGET", indicating in the body of the email where you have posted the photo and accompanying "mysterious HI-TECH gadget" description. Important Note: If you don't use that subject line, Ol' Myrt's email program won't sort your email correctly and your entry will be lost. It is not necessary to attach a copy of the photo you posted elsewhere. This is a social-networking thing, DearREADERS.
3. Winning entry: Mr. Myrt will choose the winning entry randomly from among the first 50 emails received, provided the emails post-date the publication of said contest entry as described in #1 above. The decision of Mr. Myrt is final, and from what I know of him, he won't accept bribes.
4. Cross Promotion: Each of the 50 finalists will be spotlighted in upcoming DearMYRTLE blog posts during February, March and April 2012. If you have a genealogy blog, this is the perfect time to draw more folks to your site.
5. Dates: The contest runs from now through Friday, 3 February 2012 at 12pm (noon) Mountain US time. Entries received after that time will not be accepted.
6. Grand Prize: The winner of DearMYRTLE's Name that Gadget Contest shall receive a duplicate of the "mysterious HI-TECH gadget" in the color of his choice, subject to availability from the Amazon.com website, and sent to a US or Canada shipping address. The winner will be announced Friday night during GeneaBloggers Blog Talk Radio Show and in DearMYRTLE's blog, and will receive an email notification of same. To claim the prize, the winner must come to the Official RootsTech Bloggers hub in the exhibit hall by 2pm Saturday, 4th February 2012 at the Salt Palace to aid Myrt in the online ordering of said "mysterious HI-TECH gadget".
Shamless self-promotion? I hope you don't think so. We get by with a little help from our friends, don't we?
JOIN IN THE FUN. I cannot wait until you see the "mysterious HI-TECH gadget" in question. I think you'll get a big kick out of it.
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.