Last week our MGP2 (Mastering Genealogical Proof) study group tackled Chapter 5, and we gained a good understanding of the analysis section, specifically "What does the information item state or imply?" This week we're tackling the second portion of the chapter to understand how to correlate these findings with information items found in all sources to determine an fairly reliable answer to our research question.
HERE'S HOW TO PARTICIPATE
1. REVIEW MGP1 - Chapter 5 GPS Element 3: Analysis and Correlation
2. GO TO THE THE VIEWING and COMMENTing page:
NOTE: You must be a member of this free genealogy community.
Here's our scheduled start time:
Sunday, 6 April 2014
10am Eastern (New York)
9am Central (Chicago)
8am Mountain (Salt Lake City, Denver)
7am Pacific (Los Angeles)
If you need a time zone converter, use:
Read each chapter in advance of the study group session, but don't attempt to do your written homework until the panel has discussed the chapter. We are on the honor system here. No need to check in with Ol' Myrt. In fact, Dr. Jones has provided answers at the end of the book.
WATCH LATER on DearMYRTLE's YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/DearMYRTLE
The MGP Study Group 2 will have one advantage: We can view the MGP1 (Mastering Genealogical Proof Study Group One) archived sessions in addition to attending our own sessions. Those archived versions appear on DearMYRTLE's YouTube Channel located here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DearMYRTLE/videos
JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED A SESSION
Feb 16, 2014 - Orientation
- See MGP1 - Orientation video here
- Before blogging about your participation in this study group, please see MGP1 Study Group - Copyright Guidelines featuring the best advice from +Judy G. Russell , the Legal Genealogist.
Feb 23, 2014 - Chapter 1 Genealogy’s Standard of Proof
Mar 2, 2014 - Chapter 2 Concepts Fundamental to the GPS
- See MGP1 - Chapter 2 video here.
- See MGP2 - Chapter 2 video here.
- See also Elizabeth Shown Mills' QuickLesson 17: The Evidence Analysis Process Model
Mar 16, 2014 – Chapter 3 Revisited
Mar 23, 2014 – Chapter 4 GPS Element 2: Source Citations
- See MGP1 - Chapter 4 GPS Element 2: Source Citations
- See MGP2 - Chapter 4 GPS Element 2: Source Citations
April 13, 2014 - Chapter 6 GPS Element 4: Resolving Conflicts and Assembling Evidence
April 20, 2014 – Skip this week due to Easter
April 27, 2014 - Chapter 7 GPS Element 5: The Written Conclusion
May 4, 2014 - Chapter 8 Using the GPS and Chapter 9 Conclusion and graduation
Thomas W. Jones, Mastering Genealogical Proof (Arlington, Virginia: National Genealogical Society, 2013). [Book available from the publisher at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/cs/mastering_genealogical_proof , also available in Kindle format, described here.]
#genealogy #ancestry #DearMYRTLE #history
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.
G+ DearMYRTLE Community
Second Life: Clarise Beaumont