Whew! That was a busy conference! The National Genealogical Society's annual conference was held in Richmond, Virginia last week. Each day Ol' Myrt's goal was to interview six people. And it was all done with Cousin +Russ Worthington's help on a wired computer. +Andrew Hatchett was on standby in case Russ had computer problems. +Michael Daniels and +Heather Kraafter were non-genealogist techies providing backup-backup support. So you know there was lots of support for this project.
WHAT'S Myrt's AmbushCAM?
2-5 minute live interviews, recorded on my DearMYRTLE's YouTube channel, available immediately on the web. More about the equipment later in this post.
Myrt's #NGS2014 AmbushCAM interviews, with links so you may view them:
- Night Before NGS2014 (7 May 2014)
- View From the Evidentia Booth (7 May 2014)
- Daniel Horowitz, Chief Genealogical Officer of MyHeritage.com (7 May 2014)
- Ron Arons, Mind Maps for Genealogists (7 May 2014)
- Bruce Buzbee, RootsMagic Developer (7 May 2014)
- Maureen Taylor, the Photo Detective (7 May 2014)
- Shannon Combs-Bennett (8 May 2014)
- Linda McCauley FGS.org Gone to Texas (8 May 2014)
- Rorey Cathcart, FGS.org, 1812 Project: http://www.preservethepensions.org (8 May 2014)
- Jen Baldwin: TNGG (8 May 2014)
- Gaylon Findlay: Ancquest.com Ancestral Quest (8 May 2014)
- FamilySearch.org: FamilySearch Interview (8 May 2014)
- Ed Thompson: EvidentiaSoftware.com (8 May 2014)
- Crista Cowan: Ancestry.com (8 May 2014)
- Duff Wilson: Ancestry.com (8 May 2014)
- Friday 1 - Rebecca Koford (9 May 2014)
- Friday 2 - Jordan Jones (9 May 2014)
- Friday 3 - Patty Roy (9 May 2014)
- Friday 4 - Dick Eastman (9 May 2014)
- Friday 5 - Maury Cralle Jr. (9 May 2014)
- Friday 6 - Elissa Scalise Powell, CG, CGL, from GRIPitt.org (9 May 2014)
- Friday 7 - DearMYRTLE has Comments from NGS (9 May 2014)
- Saturday 1 - Jan Meisels Allen RPAC - www.fgs.org/rpac (10 May 2014)
- Saturday 2 - Carmen Cross (10 May 2014)
- Saturday 3 - Barry Kline www.tnggn.org (10 May 2014)
- Saturday 4 - Lisa Louise Cooke - www.genealogygems.com (10 May 2014)
- Saturday 5 - Kim Jordan (10 May 2014)
HERE'S THE EQUIPMENT WE USED
Following the encouragement of our friend +Ronnie Bincer, who has done such interviews twice at SXSW, Cousin Russ and I decided to venture forth with our own concoction of equipment:
- tripod smart phone holder (we also have one for an iPad)
- Y splitter (from iPhone to ear bud and hand held microphone)
- a really good microphone
- Verizon jetpack, though in the Richmond Convention center, an AT&T hotspot worked better
|Mike Hall and Myrt viewing a miniature 1812 soldier at the FGS.org booth|
May 2014, Richmond, Washington. Photo courtesy of Fran Jensen.
To tell you the truth, I couldn't have done this without Cousin +Russ' help. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, sir!
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy.
G+ DearMYRTLE Community
Second Life: Clarise Beaumont