47th Annual Southern California Genealogy Jamboree
Giving to the Future by Preserving the Past
Friday, June 3 through Sunday June 5, 2016
Pre-Conference DNA and Workshops
The Future of the Past: Genetic Genealogy 2016
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport
2016 Jamboree Extension Series Webinars
The Southern California Genealogical Society (SCGS) announces its Call for Presentations for the 47th Annual Southern California Genealogy Jamboree, to be held Friday through Sunday, June 3 - 5, 2016 at the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel, Burbank, California. The Pre-Conference Day on Thursday, June 2, 2016 will include a full day of DNA presentations and In-Depth Workshops.
This Call for Presentations pertains to the Jamboree conference, Pre-Conference DNA/Workshop day, as well as the 2016 Jamboree Extension Series webinar program. Presentations will be accepted only through the online portal August 30 - September 30, 2015.
Submission of Presentations: Speakers interested in presenting lecture presentations or workshops for 2016 must submit their proposals through the Jamboree Speaker Portal.
A copy of this call for presentations can be found here.
You may download a copy of the submission form.
Only those presentations submitted through the portal and accompanied by a signed copy of the Call for Presentations agreement (faxed, emailed or mailed) will be considered. The online submission process ensures that correct speaker information is used in communication, advertising and conference materials.
Jamboree draws attendees of all experience levels, from the beginner to the professional; from the first time conference attendee to conference veterans. The Jamboree Extension Series draws an international audience comprised of all skill levels. We encourage the submission of all levels of sessions.
The 2016 Jamboree theme is "Giving to the Future by Preserving the Past." We welcome submissions utilizing our theme to promote the expansion of our knowledge and skills. Our heritage focus is on German and Eastern European ancestry. Presentations on all topics will be considered. New presentations are encouraged. Presentations may include (but are not limited to) the following topics:
* Germanic and Eastern European Research
* DNA / Genetic Genealogy
* Migration, Emigration/Immigration
* Digital Resources
* Research Strategies
* Software & Apps
* Preservation/Archival Storage
* Social Media/Blogging
* Family History Writing
* Record Types
* Society Management
* Next Generation
Number of Presentations: Speakers may submit up to 6 presentations. The SCGS Jamboree Committee, at its sole discretion, may select none, some, or all of the presentations submitted by any speaker.
Session Length: Jamboree presentations are 60 minutes in length, including a 10-minute question-and-answer period. We welcome longer sessions (90 or 120 minutes) that examine topics in depth. You may also propose workshops up to 4 hours in length. Jamboree Extension Series presentations are 60 minutes in length with an additional 30 minutes for questions.
Copyright Considerations and Distribution of Presentation Materials:
- Speakers retain copyright to all content and syllabus material.
- Jamboree syllabus materials will be made available online (in digital and printed format). The syllabus may be made available for sale after Jamboree as quantities allow.
- At the speaker's authorization, lecture material will be made available for electronic download prior to Jamboree.
Jamboree Extension Series handouts will be made available for download by webinar attendees and with the archived webinar available to Southern California Genealogical Society members on the SCGS member website.
Expectations of Speakers: The following speaker expectations are also incorporated into speaker contracts.
- Failure to meet deadlines and/or contract conditions is grounds for cancellation of the contract.
- Lecture visuals will be in digital format and prepared using presentation software (e.g. PowerPoint, Keynote).
- Syllabus material is required for every Jamboree lecture and Jamboree Extension Series webinar presentation. Syllabus page requirements will be provided upon selection.
- Speakers will assist in promoting their appearance and Jamboree by providing website links, social media and other announcements, etc.
- Speakers will provide their own laptop computer/iPad/etc. for their presentations. (Projectors will be provided.)
- Should a speaker become unable to participate in Jamboree or their scheduled Jamboree Extension Series webinar, they will notify Jamboree at the earliest possible opportunity so that a replacement may be found.
- As possible, Jamboree staff will work with speakers to reduce expenses (ex. room sharing) or resolve scheduling issues.
- Lecture honorarium of $100 per lecture for individual presentations; $200 for two-person presentations, divided equally between participants; and $300 total per panel discussion, divided equally among all participants.
- Syllabus bonus of $50 per lecture, provided that camera-ready syllabus material meets requirements and is submitted on time.
- Live streamed bonus of $50 per lecture.
- Royalties for the sale of DVDs for their recorded Jamboree sessions ($2 per DVD). 2016 royalties will be paid by July 31, 2017.
- Complimentary connectivity for web-based presentations with advance notice.
- Complimentary registration for June 2 Pre-Conference/DNA based on the speaker's scheduled sessions at that event. Tickets for additional events, if available, may be purchased by speakers.
- Complimentary registration for June 3-5 Jamboree based on the speaker's scheduled sessions at that event. Tickets for additional events, if available, may be purchased by speakers.
- Complimentary syllabus in a digital format.
- One-year associate membership in the Southern California Genealogical Society ($35 value). Membership affords access to the SCGS webinar archive, remote use of available databases and archived issues of The Searcher, in addition to all other benefits of membership.
Jamboree Speakers selected to conduct three or more lectures will also receive (note: this is not available for speakers presenting fewer than three lectures):
- Reimbursement of airfare or mileage (at current IRS mileage rates) calculated by MapQuest to a maximum $400. Reimbursement will be made upon receipt of documentation of airfare purchase.
- One day of single hotel accommodations (room + tax) at the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport for each day the speaker is scheduled to speak, plus 1 day for travel (value $165 plus tax per day).
- $20 per-diem for the number of hotel nights provided.
SCGS will not reimburse speakers or pay for the following:
- Car rental.
- Expenses charged to the hotel room.
- In-room internet access fees. Wireless internet access is provided free of charge in the public areas in the main hotel.
- Parking fees.
- Ground transportation to or from an airport. Free shuttle service is provided by the Marriott to and from the Bob Hope Burbank Airport.
- Speakers qualifying for transportation reimbursement: If the combined airfare/shuttle service from another area airport is less than the airfare into Burbank, we will consider the combined reimbursement. Please discuss the possibility with us prior to submission for reimbursement.
Jamboree Extension Series Speaker Compensation: $100 honorarium upon receipt of invoice submitted within 30 days of the speaker's webinar.
Statement of Nondiscrimination: The Southern California Genealogical Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. SCGS is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination in employment and opportunity because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or age. Jamboree and Jamboree Extension Series speakers are selected based on experience, technical knowledge, speaking ability, diversity of topics and relevance.
Exclusivity: We understand that some speakers may wish to make other presentations while in the area to maximize exposure and income. We bring the best speakers to Jamboree and provide a fair honorarium and expense reimbursement in exchange for exclusive Southern California appearances by the speaker. The Program Chair will be glad to discuss expense-sharing with other organizations if the speaker schedules other area appearances within two weeks of Jamboree.
August 20, 2015 - Call for Presentations Issued
September 30, 2015 - Deadline for submissions of proposals
October 30, 2015 - Selection of speakers
November 5, 2015 - Issuance of contracts and syllabus requirements
December 5, 2015 - Deadline for return of signed contracts
February 15, 2016 - Deadline for syllabus materials and advertising
If you have not presented at a past Jamboree and wish to provide a recording of one of your presentations, please send it to the Southern California Genealogical Society, Attention: Jamboree Program Chair, 417 Irving Drive, Burbank, CA 91504. Examples of syllabus submissions may be emailed to SCGSJamboree@gmail.com These materials may be used during the selection process and cannot be returned. They will be added to the Society's library collection with our gratitude and thanks.
Questions, inquiries or submissions may be emailed to SCGSJamboree@gmail.com with the subject line: Call for Presentations [your last name].
We look forward to the possibility of including you on the 2016 Jamboree and Jamboree Extension Series schedules.
Alice Fairhurst, Jamboree Chair
Judi Ramsey, Program Chair
Southern California Genealogy Jamboree
Southern California Genealogical Society
417 Irving Drive Burbank, CA 91504-2408
Phone: 818.843.7247 Fax: 818.843-7262