Perhaps you are fortunate to have inherited a few heirlooms like Mr. Myrt. This is his "Nanna's Desk." Now, to my grandchildren, they know it as Nanna's desk, but they don't know it doesn't descend through my side of the family.
Mr. Myrt is their step-grandfather, and this heirloom comes to him from his maternal grandmother Anna Louise Halverson born 9 Sept 1883 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois and died 14 July 1969 in Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa. On 2 May 1908 in Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa, she married Ole Jurgen Sogge, who was born Jun 1876 in Christiansund, Norway and died 25 July 1925 in Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa at the young age of 49. I've written about him before in my post titled Ole J. Sogge, 1st SD Volunteer Infantry.
|IMAGE: "Nana's Desk" from the author's personal collection.|
Though now the desk graces a spot in our front parlor, it was once the work space of a business-savvy widow. View this short video to find out more. These are the types of memories we need to hand down through the generations. In particular keep an eye out for what I learned about an circa 1920s white porcelain door knob I found in the desk this afternoon along with Ole's pocket knife.
OTHER POSTS IN THIS SERIES
- #30Waysin30Days to SHARE A MEMORY Intro
- #30Waysin30Days to SHARE A MEMORY - JibJab
- #30Waysin30Days to SHARE A MEMORY - Perpetual Family Calendar
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY - Email is so 20th century
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY - 3-Ring Binders
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY - Tweaking that Google Calendar
We also added an Ancestor Calendar to our blog (no living people!)
- #30Waysin30Days Blog Tweak - page tabs and layout
- #30Waysin30Days - Share pics of THEIR parents
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY - Thrill Ride
- #30Waysin30Days - SHARE A MEMORY - Family Jewels
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY Reverence for Life
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY Respect for Country
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY Photo Jacket
- #30Waysin30Days - Do you think they'll remember?
- #30Waysin30Days SHARE A MEMORY - Create a Facebook Group
Your friend in genealogy.
G+ DearMYRTLE Community
Second Life: Clarise Beaumont
Hangouts: Pay what you want. So it's simple. If you value the work Ol' Myrt, +Cousin Russ and our beloved panelists do week in and week out on your behalf, please:
Check the GeneaWebinars Calendar for exact dates of DearMYRTLE study groups and Hangouts on Air, in addition to over 200 hours of online genealogy classes, webinars and tweetchats from other hosts and presenters in the next 12 months.