My *very* distant cousin Hazmat Harriet hosted this discussion of the perils of quick click genealogy. These are links we mention:
- DearMYRTLE's Principles of the Pinball Approach to Genealogy http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/2013/01/principles-of-pinball-approach-to.html
- Board for Certification of Genealogists GPS (Genealogical Proof Standard) briefly explained http://bcgcertification.org/resources/standard.html
- DearMYRTLE's FamilySearch: A picture speaks a thousand words http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/2013/01/familysearch-picture-speaks-1000-words.html
- Randy Seaver's Genea-Musings: Pinball Genealogy - My Ancestry.com Hints Practices http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/01/creating-source-citations-in-rootsmagic_20.html
In Item 7 above Randy writes "I have two trees on Ancestry - I attach Hints to the tree with only my Ancestral family - not to the tree with all of my Research. I try to keep the Research tree "clean" from Ancestry events (because they add duplicate events and are not accurate in some cases) and source citations (since they are not Evidence! Explained quality)."
- Randy Seaver's Genea-Musings: Pinball Genealogy - Enriching My Genealogy Database http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/01/pinball-genealogy-enriching-my.html and Randy Seaver's "Principles of Pinball Approach to Genealogical Research" Defined and Discussed http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/01/principles-of-pinball-approach-to.html
- DearMYRTLE's SOURCES: Research logs are not proof arguments http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/2011/11/sources-research-logs-are-not-proof.html
- Elizabeth Shown Mills, "Producing Quality Research Notes," OnBoard 3 (January 1997): 8. http://bcgcertification.org/skillbuilders/skbld971.html
- DearMYRTLE's Ancestry: 2,200 volumes of county histories CA, IL, IN, MI, NY, OH, PA, WI (overcoming searching only for a name at Ancestry.com) http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/2013/01/ancestry-2200-volumes-of-county.html
- Michael Hait, CG Another word on “Evidence-based” and “Conclusion-based” genealogy software use in his Planting the Seeds blog: https://michaelhait.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/another-word-on-software/
Sure, you could watch thisWACKY Wednesday - Quick Qlick Genealogy hangout session here or on DearMYRTLE's YouTube Channel, but you'll want to log in to view and comment at:
Happy family tree climbing!
Your friend in genealogy
Your friend in genealogy
Second Life: Clarise Beaumonthttp://bit.ly/DearMYRTLEonGoogle
Check the DearMYRTLE Hangouts Calendar for upcoming study groups and hangouts. There you'll find links to the GeneaConference (in-person) and the GeneaWebinars Calendar with over over 200 hours of online genealogy classes, webinars, live streams and tweetchats from other hosts and presenters over the next 12 months.